St Martin in the Fields
The church of St Martin-in-the-Fields in London’s Trafalgar Square was completed in 1726 although there has been a church on the spot since 1222. It has long tradition of practical Christianity which began with its patron Saint, Martin and continued with open-door policy formulated during the First World War by its charismatic vicar, Dick Sheppard. It is well upheld today by vicar Nicholas Holtam and his team, who share their church with a Chinese-speaking congregation based in London’s nearby Chinatown.
The church has its own particular Sikh connection as it hosted a memorial service for Prince Victor, eldest son of Maharajah Duleep Singh, on 26 June 1918, after his death and burial earlier that month in Monte Carlo. A copy of the original programme for the service can be seen below.