Royal Pavilion Brighton
From December 1914 to January 1916, wounded Indian troops serving with the British army were cared for at the Royal Pavilion in Brighton.
These troops had come from all over India and included Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims and others. Use of this and its associated buildings was granted to the military authorities by the Brighton Corporation; its size and proximity to France making it an ideal site to help remedy the problem of an acute lack of suitable hospitals in the country.
The obvious influence of Indian culture on the architectural style of the Pavilion fostered the belief that this would be a suitable place of convalescence for Britain's fighting 'sons of the East'.
Hundreds of images, letters and other doucuments from the soldiers time at the Pavilion are available at the Brighton History Centre, housed within the pavilion.
Address: The Royal Pavilion, 4/5 Pavilion Buildings, Brighton BN1 1EE
Telephone: 01273 290 900