Style sheets must be enabled to view this page as it was intended.

North Indian Arms

The collection of armours and weapons came to Eastnor from the field of battle in Gujarat in 1848.  One of the Cocks family, A H Cocks C.B. was a colonial administrator, who joined the army lead by General Gough at the time of the 3rd Sikh War and distinguished himself in this campaign, which marked the end of Sikh independence in India. 

The display includes the following:

Facing the windows:

 Mail and plate armours, both made up of four mirrors and body armour (“Chahar A’Ineh”) and Helmet (top one – early 19th Century), with “Dast” armour and mail shirts (17th Century)

• Shield (“Dahl”) of leather with bosses of iron with gold “Koftgari” overlay. 

• Left hand axe: early 19th Century blade possibly from a “Khond” (hill tribe of West India) axe, with a back spike possibly from a “Jambiya” with the blade of a military spatoon.

• Right hand axe: Crow bill (“Holurge”) with blade possibly 18th Century with thickened point.  Signed, possibly made in Lahore.

Over the lift door:

• Talwars. Left hand - hilt Lahore style with Indian blade with trident markers and cartouche with inscription in Hindi.  Right hand – Lahore hilt with imported European blade, both first quarter 19th Century.

• Two shields of steel with traces of Koftgari inscription.

• Either side of door to Great Hall:  Two Matchlock Muskets (“Toradar”), possibly from Awadh (formerly Oudh).

Also on display is an Indian miniature showing a ceremonial parade, with Indian and British officials & a sword presented to Cocks by General Gough as a token of his appreciation after the end of the war.

On display in the Red Room


Related